A Little Local History

Fleet & Crookham in the Gazetteers

William Camden's "Britannia or Geographical Description of Britain and Ireland" was published in 1588 and has very little to say about the area. Odiham ("Odiam") is mentioned briefly, as being a former free borough of the Bishop of Winchester, and for the defence of the Castle against Louis, Dauphin of France, during the reign of King John. The 1722 edition of the Britannia (translated from Latin by Dr. Edmund Gibson, Rector of Lambeth, and Dean of the Chapel Royal) includes Robert Morden's maps. The map of Hampshire shows symbols for habitation in Farnborough, Cove, Ewshot, Aldershot, and Crookham in the Crundhal (Crondall) hundred but Fleet does not yet exist.

Lewis's "Topographical Dictionary of England" of 1831 describes Crookham as a tything in the parish and hundred of Crondall, with 623 inhabitants. Crondall and its parish merited a more lengthy description, including the population and composition of the tythings, the patronage of the church, and information about the holding of the court leet, and the schools. Fleet is not yet large enough to be mentioned. Ewshot (in the parish and hundred of Crondall) had a population of 489 inhabitants.

The Cassell's "Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (published 1898) seems to be mildly obsessed with churches. The description of Fleet mentions that All Saints was founded in 1861 in the Gothic style, and the Primitive Methodists and the Baptists have chapels in the town. Also, Fleet Pond of that era covered 130 acres. The sole mention for Ewshot is that the church of St Mary was founded in 1873 and built in the Early English style. Crookham has a more interesting entry, mentioning the almshouses and charity to the value of 94 pounds per annum, a large brickworks, and that there were seats at Dinoben Court, Heathfield, Itchel Manor, The Knoll and The Lea.

The gazetteers and topographical dictionaries mentioned above are all published on CD by Archive CD Books.

Fleet & Crookham in Pictures

The following pages have been drawn from Fleet and Crookham - A Pictorial History, the book written in 1994 by Fleet and Crookham Local History Group members Peter Pimm, Stanley G. Knight, Tony Wright, and Percy Vickery.

Many of the pages contain pictures, and may take a little time to download.


Links:


Web Space provided by Hampshire County Council